Friday 15 August 2008

Another Willing Victim! - Chairman's Blog No 3

Just a quick blog this time you will be pleased to hear.

Part (1)

Firstly a wee bit about the Hospitality Cruise we had on Sunday. I know there is going to be a posting specifically about this, so I will keep this bit brief so as not to pre-empt anything in that posting. On behalf of the Branch, I’d like to thank David Rodger, Waverley Excursions Chairman, for his contribution to Sunday’s hospitality Cruise.

I’d also like to record our appreciation to all those from the ship’s company who helped, giving of their time for the Bridge and Engine Room visits, making the bottom bar (and snacks!) available, and generally having the ship so well turned out, complete with PSPS banner on the Boat Deck railing.

It is no boast to say that The Scottish Branch leads the way in the Society when it comes to Hospitality Cruises, and Sunday’s event raised the bar still further for our other Branches to aspire to, thanks in no small part to the efforts of those on the ship.

On a personal note I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Shelagh and Gavin for all the work they put in to making Sunday the success it was, whether it was making sure that the appropriate people on the ship knew we were coming (!) or working on the Slide Shows etc etc etc.

At the end of the day, thanks to them, all I had to do was stand up and waffle for ten minutes! Thank You.

Now, Part (2), and the reason for the title of this particular Chairman’s Blog.

On Monday I received a very welcome email from John Anderson, PSPS National Secretary, asking me for Gavin Stewart’s contact details as he is now on the Council of management! His nomination this year went unchallenged and so he is now “in”.

Congratulations Gavin! You can see from the photo below just how delighted he was when I phoned him with the good news!





Just for clarification, Gavin and I are elected members, on the Council of Management (I think this used to be called the National Council), not to be confused with being Scottish Branch representatives. That particular role continues to be most ably undertaken by Stuart Cameron.

I think that what Gavin and I will bring to the Council of Management is that we will be advocates of the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society as whole. After all as I keep saying, we are the PSPS, not simply the "We Love The Waverley Club" (even if we do)!

However I hope that this increase in representation from North of the Border cannot help but further inform, and in the best possible way influence the C.O.M., regards all matters paddle "up North".

We welcome and need your support and input now and in the future!




Stu